OhioHealth Regional PPE Schedule - Please note that all regional physicals have been completed for 2013. Please check back for the 2014 schedule.
Dear Parents, Athletes and Coaches,
As OhioHealth Sports Medicine has grown and changed so has the need for our physicals process. We realize that the past model of sports physicals in a high school is not sustainable. As medicine and standards of care have changed so must we. After several months of evaluating and discussing we have decided to move towards larger regional sites in medical facilities (as much as possible). Our goal is by having more staff, better facilities, slightly longer hours but substantially fewer dates the new model will be better exams and easier for the physicians who volunteer their time.
- First and foremost this sport physical (as well as ALL physician interaction during school coverage) is not meant to replace regular or as needed visits to your primary care physician (PCP). Physicals and on site school or event coverage by an athletic trainer and/or physician are simply an adjunct intervention in an area of specialty.
- Sports physicals are best performed by the student-athlete’s primary care physician. However, station based physical exams run by athletic trainers and fellowship trained sports medicine team physicians provide an appropriate alternative to physicals that would be provided by an urgent care or other convenience based pharmacy/out-patient treatment setting.
- These exams are meant for athletes with relatively “clean” medical histories and are used to screen for and detect medical or physical conditions that may put the student athlete at risk for future problems. Any athlete who is currently under the care of their PCP for a medical condition/injury/illness or those with previously diagnosed medical conditions/injuries/illnesses, especially cardiac conditions that might preclude or limit participation in sports are advised to get your medical exam from your PCP.
- We are using medical facilities as much as possible to allow for more physician coverage, a better quality exam and exam environment.
- Your student-athletes are welcome to attend ANY of the regional locations based on what day and time is most convenient. This allows alternative options since the date/time at Bradley was never convenient for everyone.
- There will be NO CHARGE for Bradley/Memorial student-athletes who attend an OhioHealth Regional Location.
- Every athlete will receive a number at check in and be called back in numerical order. We will do our best to move through as quickly as possible but understand that all the physicians are volunteering and they want to make sure each individual athlete gets all their needs addressed completely and thoroughly.
- Parents are ENCOURAGED to go to all the stations with their son/daughter as well as be in the room during the physician exam. If a parent or guardian is NOT present ALL 6 pages of the OHSAA physical form need to be fully completed, signed and dated in order for your athlete to receive a physical.
- Page 1/2 Notes – Please include Date of exam, Name, DOB, Sex, Age, Grade (Upcoming 2013-2014 SY), School and Sport(s); answer all questions including the insurance information at the very bottom of the page and provide additional information as needed; 2 SIGNATURES/DATED
- Page 3 Notes – Please include Name and DOB, the remainder of this page is done during the exam
- Page 4 Notes – Please include Name, Sex, Age and DOB; Make sure the physician or designee completes all required info: Participation status, Printed Name, Date of Exam, Address, Phone and signature; Parents will need to complete the Emergency Information Section
- Pages 5 & 6 - PRIOR TO RECEIVING A PHYSICAL BOTH pages needed to be FULLY COMPLETED 2 SIGNATURES, DOB, DATED, school contact info and grade. Per OHSAA rules without a fully completed page 6 the athlete is INELIGIBLE to participate.
- Each school, athletic trainer and/or athletic director can make their own decisions regarding how best to serve their student athletes. Please contact the respective athletic departments regarding if the schools will be hosting physicals, participating in the OhioHealth regional sites and what if any charge will be set by those athletic departments.